Friday 24 August 2012

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehn, Goodbye...

I knew that I'd find saying goodbye to my friends and family difficult.  Given that I won't see most of them until Christmas, that's not a surprise but like so many things the reality is proving even more tricky.

My brother is cycling from London to Paris this weekend and he left this morning so he was the first family member I said bye to.  Cue floods of tears.  I know it's not that long until he'll come to visit in October, but it wasn't very fun regardless.  And to be honest once you've cried that much at 7am, it leaves you feeling a bit funny for the rest of the day.

I've just spoken to my grandparents and that was difficult too.  They're already far away (well, Glasgow) and to be honest moving won't really affect how often I see them but I won't have the same amount of contact with them.  It probably doesn't surprise you they're not on Facebook and don't read blogs or even e-mail.

This all has me slightly worried about the goodbyes at the airport tomorrow, partly because I don't have any waterproof mascara and Rich will fairly inevitably have a streaky faced girlfriend in tow as he goes through security.  But it's not all bad.  I love my friends and family to bits and if it's hard to say goodbye then that just means I'll miss them.  I'd rather this than not being fussed at all.



To anyone reading this who I've seen over this summer (to name a few- Dave, Sharon, Jenny and her boys, Josh, Tom, Lucy, Olly, Marianne, Laura, Amy, Sarah and so, so many more people-sorry if I've missed you out) I have loved catching up and sharing my excitement and I look forward to posting about our new life in Valencia which I'm sure will be fantastic.

Tonight will involve the last of my packing before I relax with my Mum tomorrow morning.  And then it's on to the airport...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin